Thursday, February 3, 2011

An explanation...sort of...

...you see...there's actually a story behind both our cats' names. We always wait to name any animal we get (unless they come already named) 'cause we believe they "grow" their own name. And they always do...
In the case of Turdle, she was a tiny kitten I got one summer from the proverbial "kid with a box in front of the grocery store". She was the last one left, and the kid was in tears...I didn't have permission to bring one home (I had recently moved back in with my Mom & Sis, also another story) but I stuffed her in my jacket and off we went.
Mom grumbled quite a bit, but PB (my sis) and I convinced her to let her stay. She was a tiny little thing, only about 10 or 12 weeks old, but she was a holy terror...into everything, and that game they love..."let's see how far we can get through the entire house without ever actually touching the floor!" Yeah, that one... Mom would sit in her recliner in the living room and kick her house slippers off and nap. On this particular day, she was in the house napping, PB & I were out front in the yard doing some weeding, edging, etc. The front door was open and suddenly we hear Mom yell "You little TURD!" The kitten had climbed into her slipper and peed...um, yeah...Mom wasn't happy...and we wouldn't stop laughing.
But it was a sort of natural progression...Tortie/Turtle/Turdle...it makes more sense if you have a warped mind, LOL.
In the case of Monster, again, nothing but a small handful of fluffy furball when he came to live with us...we got him from a friend whose cat had littered and had pretty much picked him as the one we wanted. We jokingly called him "our little porkchop". Turdle was an adult cat by that point, and had NO use whatsoever for this little extremely annoying bundle of energy! We found ourselves yelling elebenty times a day "Leave her alone, you little monster!" So that's how THAT happened...the 'Potamus part came about after he topped about 15 lbs. and just kept getting bigger! He's neutered, so he weighs more than he might otherwise...but that breed is very large, and some males can get up to 30 lbs. If you're interested, Wikipedia has pretty good info on them, plus some pretty cool photos:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Forest_Cat
I've always had a love of black and white tuxedo kitties...and he certainly is MY kitty...ask him, he'll tell you!
And this has always been my favorite photo of him.

I was a Mountain Lion in my previous life!

My second favorite is this one...

So furry handsome!

Both of these photos are several years old, he's 9 yrs. old now...and still my big baby...
Turdle is 14 and starting to get grey in spots...plus it's obvious her joints ache, and she can't jump up on things like she used to, some days she has trouble getting on the couch...
So there you have it...the story of how our kitties got their names.
TL;DR?

1 comment:

  1. Some friends of my parents firmly believe to name their pets after teh first thing they do when they get home. Odd I know. Their cat withing minutes was named "Shit In The Woodpile" or Shit for short...LOL

    ReplyDelete