Monday, February 21, 2011

I hate to admit it...

...but I'm a "serial hobbyist". There have been so many things over the years that have caught my interest and that I absolutely KNEW I wanted to do...and I DID them...for a while. A few years ago it was miniatures...little houses, teeny tiny furniture and household items...trips to Miniature Shows and hobby shops for new and exciting finds...toys of all different sorts! We still have a back bedroom full of ALL kinds of weird and wonderful sh...um, stuff for mini roomboxes, vignettes and assorted whatnot.
I mean how can you resist wanting to play when you see things like these at the Seattle show:
(miniatures.about.com/od/miniaturescommunity/ig/Miniature-Roombox-Gallery)
Jewelry shop in a set of old books-1" scale

French Patisserie roombox-kitchen and shop-1" scale

Garden shop in a set of gardening books-1" scale

Picnic in a teacup-1/4" scale

However, it soon becomes very clear that this is a time-consuming and expensive hobby! Unless you know how to MAKE a lot of the stuff yourself, you pay a premium for the labor-intensive tiny accessories that you want. And rightfully so, I should add!
Can you imagine the work involved in not only this room but in all the tiny food?!

Bakery by Fern R. (www.fernr2000.com)

close-up of bakery case

 
Close-up of bread rack
And the artistic talent of these people is remarkable! The foods are all Fimo or Sculpey, painstakingly formed and painted. It makes me feel very inadequate, LOL!
At any rate, we have moved on from miniatures, PB found beading, and I gravitated over to digital scrapbooking, with a side trip into some papercrafting, LOL...I think there may be a giant garage sale in our future, involving lots of mini stuffs! Maybe sometime this summer, since I'm home all the time now and can try and get it sorted out! Plus it would be really nice to have that other bedroom available again...

1 comment:

  1. I love beading too. I suck at it but enjoy it. LOL

    Those minatures are crazy!!! I can't imagine making all thise things out of clay. I'm an instant gratification chick..LOL

    ReplyDelete